|“||Once again, the yawning portal opens before you. Abandon all hope, ye who enter the Adventure Zone!||”|
With one half of their former employers effectively rescued, our party begins the hunt for Gundren Rockseeker in earnest. There are just a few things standing in their way: They don't know where he is, they're all Level Clown-Shoes, and also, a jelly monster.
Taako, Magnus, Merle, and Barry Bluejeans make their way out of the Cargmaw Hideout and back to their cart and Ruby. Behind them they hear a, "Wait, WHAT? Aw, shit!" that sounds suspiciously like a bugbear waking up from a Charm Person spell. Taako talks briefly to Barry, asking him what happened. "A lot of shit," he replies, insisting how terrible it was and that he wouldn't want to do it again.
Barry asks them what they know, and Magnus tells them that they found the map. (GRIFFIN: Did you? TRAVIS: No, I'm lying.) Barry starts from the beginning -- Gundren and his two brothers Thardin and Nundro (cousins of Merle) have a claim to the lost mine of Phandalin, and managed to find out where it is.
Barry is confident that he can track Gundren down, but he wants to go back to Phandalin and rest. (BARRY: I've partied pretty hard before in my life, I'm gonna need to sleep this one off). Taako and Magnus agree, though Merle makes the podcast "Passive Aggressive Dungeons and Dragons" for a minute.
The four of them reach Phandalin and head into the inn. Barry is very set on finding Gundren, so his reputation isn't ruined by Gundren's kidnapping. He reveals that the other map is a fake, and that the real map was inside Gundren all along... in his blood. (But, he specifies, it was not love the whole time). He looks for the vial of Gundren's blood that he had, but he can't find it. Merle offers his own blood, as he's related to Gundren and it might work.
Merle pricks his finger and manages to somehow find a vein in his finger. His blood automagically draws itself into a map. Barry, ever impatient, wants more blood. Merle, ever protective of his blood, ignores him. The map points to the Sword Mountains and Wave Echo Cave.
Head out on the highway! Edit
They get to Wave Echo Cave, which sounds like it has waves flowing. It's really echo-y and cold. Taako didn't bring a jacket.
In the cave they find the body of Tharden Rockseeker. Merle is pretty broken up about it, and doesn't notice as Taako loots his Loafers of Striding and Springing and gives them to Magnus, all without Merle noticing.
The gang heads down a pit, where they confront the noise of... splooge? It's definitely a splooge noise.
Through Jerk-Off Tunnel lies a deep spring, surrounded by fungi.
They're not real... fun guys Edit
The mushrooms let off a stream of spores every time anyone makes noise. More concerning, however, is the black gelatinous mass just about to drop onto Magnus.
Magnus and Merle hold a nice conversation, which leads to more spores. Meanwhile, the blob falls from the ceiling, and Taako casts Ray of Frost at it. Magnus takes his battle axe to the jelly, which works really well, except he just cuts it into two new jellies. Jelly physics!
[left off at 42:55]
The Money Zone Edit
None, but there is a break! Ends with, "Enjoy the rest of this jizz-tunnel adventure."
Featured NPCs Edit
Featured Locations Edit
- TAAKO: Barry, what the hell happened?
- BARRY BLUEJEANS: A lot of shit. And it was all really terrible, and if you gave me the option, I would not do it again.
- CLINT: Why do I imagine that Bill Hader character where they all made their own puppets and they were all talking to the puppets -
- GRIFFIN: I don’t know what you’re talking about.
- CLINT: I didn’t think so, sorry, it’s on Saturday Night Live. I would like to - can we -
- GRIFFIN: That show hasn’t been invented yet.
- CLINT: Oh. Or, has it already happened?
- GRIFFIN: Oh shit, future - future fantasy.
Barry has decent work-life balance Edit
- TAAKO: Do you want to come with us, Barry?
- BARRY: I...really need to rest. I uh -
- TAAKO: Barry, it would look bad, if you, let your charge... if you didn’t rescue them. I mean what would -
- BARRY: It would look SUPER bad if I just, like, died. It would be equally bad.
Really poor marketing, Phandalin Department of Tourism Edit
- CLINT: So we move a little bit, and what do we hear?
- GRIFFIN: You hear that sound that I’m not gonna do a third goddamn time!
- Clint: Aw, come on. One more, pleeease?
- GRIFFIN: [speaking the words, not doing the sound] Splooge splooge splooge splooge splooge splooge splooge!
- CLINT: [saying it with him, laughing] Splooch splooch splooch! [laughs]
- TRAVIS: We gotta get out of this jack-off cave.
- JUSTIN: Why did we even come to a place called Jack-Off Cave? What were we thinking? I told you guys!